Our skin goes through so many changes during our lives, from teenage acne to the first fine lines. Between hormones, sun damage, lifestyle choices and adulthood. We learn to switch things out, adjust as needed, and do everything we can to maintain glowing, even skin. But there’s one area of life that a lot of us are lost in, and skincare becomes one of the many questions we’re left with. Pregnancy is a huge deal, bringing about more change than anything any childbearing person can expect, and skincare is one of those big questions that we can help with.
Unfortunately when someone gets pregnant, everyone has a story to tell about a dangerous ingredient, or a melasma horror story, or the most horrific pregnancy acne they’ve ever had. While it’s important to be aware and take care of yourself, consider us your safety net to filter out the negativity and remind you of the good that can happen and how we can maintain your skin and keep your pregnancy glow going. The biggest thing to remember is that we’re dealing with a lot of extra hormones, and sometimes those hormones can trigger some annoying side effects. But with a pregnancy safe skincare routine we can keep you feeling like your best self.
First, once you’ve found out your expecting, it’s time to put a few products away for the time being. Revisit those actives once you’re done with breastfeeding, or once your pregnancy is finished, but for those nine months we must shelve a few things.
- Retinol – A form of Vitamin A which could increase the likelihood of birth defects in high doses.
- Salicylic Acid – though it is low risk, there are no clinical studies showing safety currently, so we prefer clients to avoid it if possible.
- Hydroquinone – Because of a large absorption rate, and minimal studies, we recommend clients avoid if possible.
- Arbutin – as a derivative of Hydroquinone, it is a more favorable option, but if it can be avoided, we recommend it.
Unfortunately some of our favourite products here at Jag Cosmetics aren’t safe for pregnancy, so we’re going to keep them on the backburner for the time being. However, that doesn’t mean you need to worry about your skin! There are wonderful actives we can incorporate to help keep your skin in tip top shape. Here at Jag we’re going to encourage you to continue other actives like:
- Glycolic Acid
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Vitamin C
- And so many more!
These ingredients are going to help maintain your beautiful skin during a more hormonally turbulent time. For those of you who do treatments, or invest extra work into your skin, they will all help to maintain your incredible results.
During pregnancy our clients’ biggest pregnancy specific concerns tend to be pregnancy acne, and melasma. Despite having to remove some of the heaviest hitting ingredients from the treatment lineup, we can still manage and maintain skin during this time. A few quick swaps and some preventative measures and we can ensure your skin will stay stunning through it all.
Out: Retinol – In: Glycolic Acid
- Glycolic acid is going to stimulate cellular turnover and help with fine lines, skin texture, blackheads and whiteheads, and overall luminosity.
Out: Hydroquinone/Arbutin – In: Tranexamic Acid
- Tranexamic acid is a skin brightening agent, like hydroquinone, with a lower topical absorption rate.
Out: Stem Cells – In: Peptides
- Peptides send signals to the skin to stimulate different effects, like softening lines or smoothing texture. An effective anti-aging alternative!
Out: Salicylic Acid – In: Benzoyl Peroxide
- Benzoyl peroxide will kill acne causing bacteria, performing a similar role as salicylic acid.
Just these quick switches are going to guarantee a healthy skin and a healthy pregnancy. Using products targeted for brightening, tone, and texture, as well as sunscreen, will truly maintain that pregnancy glow. And remember, the most important thing you can ever do for your skin is simple. Wear your sunscreen!